Issue Specific Groups at Recovery Ministries: Below is a list of our upcoming issue-specific groups. All groups meet on Monday night at 6:45p at the St. John’s campus and will begin with a time of corporate worship before moving into group time. Please read the group description before you apply for a group to ensure that it is a good fit. Since each group will be limited to 8-10 people, we will not be able to take every applicant for these groups. However, we are planning to do the same or similar groups in the future and those who are not accepted into the groups this semester will be given preference for future groups.
Steps to Gospel Recovery
When: Mondays, 6:45-8:45pm. Begins September 2 for 15 weeks.
Where: The For The City Center (500 E St. John’s Ave.)
Who should attend? Whether you are struggling with pornography, grief, alcoholism, same-sex attraction, loss, drugs, apathy, depression, anxiety, self-image, anger, lust, the fear of others, chronic pain, hopelessness, abuse, and shame (and more), Steps Study offers a way to experience hope and healing in Christ by working through a gospel-centered 12 step process in the context of community.
Group Description: Steps Study is a discipleship experience for those who admit they are suffering from their own sinful habits and desire to see transformation through the power of the gospel.
There are three main components to Steps to Gospel Recovery:
- Daily Scripture reading and reflection
- Group discussion based on the Steps material on Monday nights (gender specific groups)
- Individual mentorship throughout your Steps journey (this will extend beyond the 14-week study).
Requirements for Steps to Gospel Recovery:
- Commit to attending Monday night meetings
- Identify a mentor for your Steps journey who meets the following qualifications:
- A mature follower of Jesus
- Does not need to have previous experience with the 12 Step
- Someone you can trust to love you & speak truth to you
- Someone who would be willing and available to meet with you weekly throughout your 12 Step journey (1-3 hours/week for minimum of 4 months)
Cost: $20 for materials (childcare available on site).
Comfort of God in Grief
When: Mondays, 6:30-8:30pm. Begins September 9-October 28.
Where: The For The City Center (500 E St. John’s Ave.) *Childcare is available on site for children 12 & under.
Group Description: Losing a loved one to death—whether a child, spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling or close friend—will shake and test the commitments of our hearts and the foundations of what believe. We would love to walk alongside you as you journey with God through the heartache, the doubts, and the questions that come with bereavement. The teaching and group interaction is designed to provide you with the opportunity to know and experience God as the “Father of compassion and God of all comfort” and Jesus as “a Man of Sorrows” who is able to identify with your pain and who has overcome the problem of suffering and death. Our desire is that you will be cared for in community and equipped to bring God’s comfort to others.